Friday, February 19, 2010

Illness Humbles...

Illness humbles.
When I am ill and I can rest and take appropriate medications for the illness and wait for the illness to run its course. I recognized today that since I am ill, I am not in control.
I recognized today while being ill that in many significant ways, I am not the master of my own destiny. Today I had to rest. I was not able do any projects. I was unable to work a "to do list" I was even effected in my relationships with the children in my care and with the relationship with my wife. When the body is not feeling well, the spirit and the mind, and the emotions are affected. I am a physical being and illness effects me. This is a simple fact. As much as I do not want illness to affect my attitude, the way, and me I relate with others it still does affect me. Illness humbles.

I recognized a few minutes ago that my ability to be patient with my children is diminished when I am ill. I had to apologize to my second oldest daughter just a few minutes ago because I reacted wrongly to something she said. Illness humbles.
The good news is that there is forgiveness and redemption within the mess of life when we are ill and perhaps short tempered with our children, spouses, coworkers, colleagues, friends, and acquaintances. Illness humbles.

It makes me realize that I am still an imperfect being in need of grace, forgiveness, and mercy. There is a lot of work "to be done" on Paul still. I am still imperfect. The good news is that God is more gracious and forgiving. I find that when I allow myself to be humbled, I can see God's graciousness that is always present, especially in the relationships I have with my wife and the children in our care.


Illness humbles.

God is Gracious and forgiving.

Both are good for us as imperfect human beings.
How do you experience being humbled, forgiveness and graciousness?

No comments: