Friday, April 16, 2010

Influence, Do You Have It, Over Who, When, and Why?

I had a dream last night. It was compelling and vivid. My sense was one of gratitude and my attitude in the dream seemed to be from a stance of humility and gratitude for what God has given me. In this dream I was grateful to be in such a position of influence to be able to influence persons and situations for God and His Kingdom.


again, it was compelling and vivid. There seem to be some truths about it that resonate. One, that I am an heir of the Kingdom of God through grace and it has nothing to do with what I have done. Two, I have a responsibility to teach and act out the word of God. Three, I can simply be me and people will recognize me as me and also as an heir by what I say and especially by what I do. Four, perhaps our preconceived ideas of who should be what are not so accurate when it comes to God given abilities and roles. Five, I have influence. In reality I am in the same situation as I thought I was in the dream, I was and am able to influence persons and situations for God and His Kingdom. I have great opportunity to influence persons to act, either for good or for ill. I have influence upon my children, my neighbors, my work colleagues, the people I interact with in any situation. Some of these people include the teachers I interact with at the children’s school, people I briefly interact with at a coffee shop, neighbors I meet walking down the street. It reminds me also that I can influence people via what I write each and every time I write, whether it is a blog post, a brief comment to a post, or a telephone conversation, or an e-mail. All these things are opportunities for influence of and for the Kingdom of God and to bless others instead of myself, my desires, or my agendas. Today, and going forward, I am more careful to speak, write and act with these truths in mind. How can you influence others for good or for ill, for the sake of others instead of yourself, for increasing the Kingdom of God instead of your own Kingdom?

No comments: