Friday, February 18, 2011

An Empty Vessel; Cold In Love, And An Abundance Of Sin

What follows is a prayer from today's daily office at http://www.missionstclare.com/. It resonates with sincerity, humility, and truth. The author is Martin Luther of Erfurt, an Augustine monk who spoke Truth for most of his life and often had difficulty with the prevailing authorities, both political, and religious. He prevailed and helped in a significant way to reform the Christian church in his day. (Note; the church, in it's humanness and in every age need persons like Brother Martin Luther of Erfurt to call it out of error and into the Truth of the Gospel.)


So, here it is.

Behold, Lord
An empty vessel that needs
To be filled.
My Lord, fill it.
I am weak in the faith;
Strengthen me.
I am cold in love;
Warm me and make me fervent,
That my love may go out
To my neighbor...
O Lord, help me.
Strengthen my faith and Trust in you...
With me, there is an Abundance of sin;
In You is the fullness of Righteousness.
Therefore I will remain
With You,
O whom I can receive,
But to Whom I may not give.

-Brother Martin Luther of Erfurt (1483-1546)

I am reminded through saying/praying this prayer that my strength and energy is received; like every other good gift from the Father who gives freely and generously to His children. I am calmed, settled, and made more alive. I am also reminded that I rely upon Him alone for the faith and strength to do His will in my life and to “stand in the gap” for the helpless.

Try saying/praying this prayer several times either aloud or to yourself. What does saying/praying this prayer do to and through you today?
Paul

No comments: